The Diary of Mrs. X - Installment 8




Sorry it's been awhile. I've got all sorts of projects going on - a podcast launching in March all about wartime rationing and trying to get two books published this year! Busy busy!

Here is an extra long installment from the diary of Mrs. X.
Enjoy!



Monday, March 26, 1945

Family wash - It's amazing how much there is in spite of Bev doing her own (& Cheryl hers) on Saturday - and Connie's shirts still go to the laundry. We get it back in a week now - usually - sometimes it's 2 weeks. I keep about 20 shirts for him now. What a help not to have to do them. 
I was asked to speak to a Brownie troop today - Bracketts-Eager. - Connie had a "hook down" with his car this a.m. on the way to work. Got a company car this eve. 
Bev & Cheryl came home & cleaned closets & drawers while I was out. Cheryl has a little boy friend - John H. She is so excited - tells me all about him.

Wednesday, April 11, 1945

1st G.S. Horseback riding Lessons Saddles -

C. home at 9:30

Thursday, April 12, 1945

President Roosevelt died today. I really believe it's one of the worst things that could have happened to the world. I voted against him three times but I have always felt he was deeply sincere & honest & truly great. And courageous. Truman will prove a miracle if he can fill Roosevelt's place. It looks very bad. F.D.R. died at Warm Springs - cerebral hemmorahage [sic] - immediate. I heard it first at the bank at 3 p.m. I never turn my radio on when alone - except during stressful hours. Tonight all regular broadcasts have been cancelled & the radio is one long funeral service. 
Connie hasn't come home yet - 10 p.m. 
My Girl Scouts started their horseback riding course today. Mrs. G & I drove. No riding - just a lesson in how to saddle a wooden horse. Girls very good. Cheryl is in it too. $1 a lesson! 
C home 10:30 - Ate dinner in bed. 

Friday, April 13, 1945

The world goes on. The United States is sober today. The radio was all funeral again today. No regular broadcasts except the news. Some beautiful music & the organists had a field-day. Schools all had half-mast ceremonies. No businesses closed. War goes on too. The funeral train is on its way to Washington. I saw Harding's funeral train in Indiana in 1923 (?) Truman was sworn in yesterday. We all wonder about him.
Cleaned house.
Bev & Cheryl held a long conference in bed on "how to get the boys"! 
C home on time.


There is some really interesting stuff in here. Of course, I love all the extra Girl Scout details, but the parts that stand out are about Pres. Roosevelt dying. I'm so glad she wrote so many personal thoughts about the situation and even mentioning seeing Pres. Harding's funeral train. How interesting! I wonder why she was in Indiana at the time. That's where I'm from! :-) 

Until next time!