Newsboys' Strike: 120th Anniversary - Day 11

Washroom in the Newsboy Lodging House
New York City, 1867
artist unknown
wikimediacommons

As you know, I did hours and hours of research scanning through hundreds of pages of newspapers on microfilm to dig up these articles about the Newsboys' Strike of 1899. Being the budding historian that I was, I didn't stop there. I wanted to know who these boys were, what their lives were like, and to get a better glimpse into what it took as a kid selling papers on the street.

So, I found books and reports written about the newsboys health, education, labor, and housing. The above photo is something I just found online today, which is amazing, because I have a copy of the book Sketch of the Formation of the Newsboys' Lodging-House by C. L. Brace published in 1867. I am missing a few pages by accident, but I wonder if the photo above is in any way related to the book! The book is full of wonderful detail and is a fascinating look into the newsboys' lives. As the book might be out in the public domain now, I'll have to see about getting a copy of it available online. It's such a valuable resource!

Disney does a fun job of portraying the lodging house in the movie Newsies, and I have to say that opening number in the lodging house is one of my favorite scenes. If you haven't yet seen the movie, you really should!


On to today's articles for Monday, July 31, 1899! They're coming in much thinner now, but you can see that the strike is still spreading to surrounding areas.

**Please respect all my hard work and investment. Please do not copy, store, or share these photos elsewhere without permission and proper linking back to this blog as well as correctly referencing where all the articles come from. Without the references, they pretty much become useless.
Thank you!



NEW YORK SUN

New York Sun
31 July 1899
part 1

New York Sun
31 July 1899
part 2



NEW YORK TIMES

New York Times
31 July 1899


NEW YORK TRIBUNE

New York Tribune
31 July 1899
part 1

New York Tribune
31 July 1899


Just 2 days left. See you tomorrow!