History in the Kitchen - WWII: Day 9

Delicious, Refreshing Orangeade
Day 9 of the wartime cooking class focused on the wartime lunch box. This is one of my favorite food topics, so not only were we trying out a mini version of a war worker's lunch box, I was gearing the kids up for the final, ultimate challenge which you'll find out about next week!

So, we discussed how important nutrition was for keeping war workers healthy, happy, alert, and full of energy. I gave them some examples of sandwich fillings to mixed reactions and we dove straight in to making our own wartime lunch - Mock Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Corn Meal Cookies, and Orangeade to drink.

The Mock Chicken Salad is absolutely delicious! I've made it in the past, so I knew the recipe was a keeper. It uses cooked pork ground up with carrots and celery with mayo and Chow Chow (a sweet, tangy, mustard relish). A lot of the kids really liked it (I think a couple weren't fond of it), but some even asked for seconds!

The Orangeade was something I tried out with my family in the preceeding week - twice. It took a few times to tweak it to our taste, but it really is a nice, refreshing drink!

Now, let's talk about the Corn Meal Cookies. This recipe was part of my wartime menu challenge last year, but I never got around to making them. Oh my goodness. These cookies were phenomenal! Sweet, spicy, and citrusy, with a little bit of grit from the cornmeal - you just need to try them! Just thinking about them right now has got my mouth watering...

Enjoy the recipes!

Mock Chicken Salad Sandwich with Corn Meal Cookies

Mock Chicken Sandwich Filling
1 c. coarsely ground cooked pork or veal
½ c. chopped or shredded raw carrots
½ c. chopped celery
2 Tbsp. Chow Chow or sweet relish
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread between slices of enriched white or whole wheat bread which have been buttered.

(From Health-for-Victory Meal Planning Guide, May1943)

300 Helpful Suggestions for Your Victory Lunch Box, 1943
 For the Orangeade, we doubled the lemon juice in the recipe to make it more on the tart side. Otherwise, the drink is rather sweet.


300 Helpful Suggestions for Your Victory Lunch Box, 1943
I didn't put in the raisins, and didn't feel like the cookies needed them. They're so full of flavor, I think the raisins would detract from that amazing nutmeg and lemon zest combination.