Vintage Autumn Celebration!

Family Circle magazine, November 1950, Vol. 37 No. 5
credit
Happy Autumn!!! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am that Fall is here. It's my favorite season, and I've been giddy with anticipation. As you might know, for the past 2 years I've done a fun Fall feature on my blog, and this year is no exception. Instead of featuring wartime autumn menus & recipes though, I wanted to do something different.

Welcome to my Vintage Autumn Celebration featuring: Maple Recipes!

Vintage 1950s magazine advertisement
Crescent Mapleine Imitation Maple Flavoring, 1953
credit

Yippee!! I adore the unmistakable, unique flavor that is maple. Growing up we didn't eat real maple syrup on our pancakes. My mom would use Mapleine flavoring in a sugar syrup for us to use. It tasted okay, I just didn't like how runny it was. So, I started adding the Mapleine flavoring to honey, which was much thicker. Maple honey is pretty good! Now, I splurge to buy the good stuff - real maple syrup. And every April we trek over to the 18th century market fair at Ft. Frederick, Maryland where a man sells his Special Dark maple syrup that he makes himself. We make that quart of deep amber goodness last all year long and savor every drop. It's that good!

Maple seems to be a flavor that crops up in autumn time, and I've come across some pretty fabulous-looking vintage recipes featuring this purely North American flavor, so that's what I wanted to showcase. I'll be sharing two recipes every week for the autumn season, so check back every Saturday!


This week's recipes come from The Mapleine Cook Book, dated approximately to the 1930s. I was so excited to acquire a vintage Mapleine cookbook and can't wait to share some its recipes with you.
So, here are two recipes where you might not think maple flavoring would be an addition: Carrot Soup and two different dressings for Fruit Salad. Interesting, eh?



A most wonderful, Happy Autumn to you all!