Wartime Menu Challenge: April - Barbecue Cube Steak w/ Pennsylvania Dutch Spinach

I was excited to try out this wartime menu featuring Barbecue Cube Steak. Check out this menu and you'll see what I mean:

Barbecue Cube Steak on Toast
Parsley Potatoes Mashed Potatoes w/ Parsley
Pennsylvania Dutch Spinach
Toasted Buns w/ Mustard Butter
Corn Flake Macaroons



I've never prepared cube steak in my life and the recipe has you make your own barbecue sauce, which is cool. I can't remember the last time I made my own. So, this was a new experience for me all around! The Pennsylvania Dutch Spinach sounded interesting too. You toss fresh spinach leaves with a hot bacon dressing, then add sliced boiled eggs. I was happy to see the dessert was a cookie. Nice and easy, and I love the 40's takes on macaroons.

While I was excited to make this, it unfortunately resulted in some shed tears. Certain little people grumbled a bit too much, and when you work hard on a meal, that's just really disheartening! I'll admit that the steak was tough, which was mind boggling. Cube steak looks like it's been pre-tenderized, so how it could be tough was beyond me. The barbecue sauce turned out pretty good though. The spinach salad was tasty if not greasy, but in my son's words when he saw the bacon's fate for going into the salad dressing and later into the next ration menu I'm going to post about: "I'm sorry, bacon, that I couldn't save you!" Ha! Thanks, kid. 

The Corn Flake Macaroons were yummy and a bit too sweet for my taste, but what's worse is that I forgot about them and didn't hear the timer go off. So, they were a little more golden than even I like. As a result, not many members of my family wanted to eat them. 

**SIGH**

You can't win them all, I guess.

Corn Flake Macaroons