A Baby and A Dress

I've mentioned on here that I was expecting a baby in February - well the little guy arrived 8 weeks early! There wasn't anything wrong with him, but my body had a hard time handling the pregnancy, so my doctor took him out. He's in the NICU now, and I'm extremely grateful for modern medicine and the incredible technology that makes it possible for tiny, preemie babies to thrive! We're counting down the days/weeks when we can bring him home. In the mean time, I'm slowly recovering and gradually easing back into life sans-pregnancy.

I've missed writing on my blog (and writing in general), so I thought I'd put up a post on something I've been wanting to write about for awhile. I have very few family heirlooms, but one special thing I do have is my maternal grandmother Lenore's 1930s bridesmaid dress from her sister's wedding. It's made from a lovely, light blue dotted Swiss cotton, and shows all the markings of being home made. It's a beautifully simple dress, and makes me wonder where things have gotten so crazy with weddings that now we have to buy $200+ bridesmaid dresses for a one-time event! I know not everyone spends that much, but this dress just speaks to me of simplicity, frugality, and focusing on the occasion, not on what was worn.

Here are some pictures featuring different aspects of the dress:

It was very hard to get a good picture with adequate lighting for this delicate, sheer dress, but here it is! It's quite long and petite. I remember trying it on as a teenager and barely being able to squeeze into it. I was a pretty skinny teen, but I was no where close to being as petite as my grandmother!
I imagine an under dress was worn with it, as the fabric is very sheer.

I think the dress's silhouette of the dress is very iconic of the 1930s. The more I learn about this decade of fashion, the more I love it!


This dress has a side zipper enclosure as well has a front bodice partial enclosure using metal snaps. I think these methods of closure were pretty common for the time.

The construction of the dress is very basic, and I think it could be replicated fairly easily. 
Front Bodice

Back Bodice
 I think the sleeves are adorable!

Here is a detail of the button. They're not glass, but I'm not sure what they are made from.

 Here's a detail of the lace and the fabric. The lace is so delicate! I wonder if that is home tatted lace...

And finally, some stitching detail! The seams have been pinked, and much of the dress looks hand sewn, though the main seams may have been done on machine. 

I wish I had a photo of my grandmother in this dress! I know one exists. In fact, I may remember seeing one as a kid. I hope I get to see it soon. This dress is a wonderful treasure, and how fun it would be to have the photo of her wearing it to make it all complete. 😊