Success!

I'm so happy to have won NaNoWriMo! (National Novel Writer's Month) I wrote 56,000+ words by the 24th, and while my first draft isn't finished, it's got a great start. Hooray! 😁

I'm hoping to get back to posting more on here now that most of the craziness of writing is behind me. Holiday times is always full of such delicious food and recipes to try, and exploring war-time recipes is no exception.

I was thrilled to have found a recipe for Vanilla Wafers in my copy of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book! It's one of those modern things that you don't think of making yourself, because it's easy to just go buy them in the store. But, I've noticed that store-bought Vanilla Wafers have this weird waxy after taste that I don't like, so I'm excited to try out this vintage recipe for them.

Besides that, there are so many cookie and cake and pie recipes to try, I'll never catch up! haha!
But I did want to share a 1940s Berry Pie recipe that I tried a few months ago that turned out really yummy. I love that this recipe is simple, uses honey, and you can use any berry you happen to have. When I made it, I used blackberries. So delicious! I even attempted a lattice-top crust, and with the help of my puzzle/logic-minded son, it turned out pretty well! I wish I could find the photo I took of it, but I can't. Oh well! Here's the recipe!

I think this came from one of my Westinghouse Health-for-Victory cookbooks, but I'm not sure which one. It's definitely from a wartime book in my collection though!