Day 19: Skillet Apple Cake

For Day 19, I'm posting the full Crisco ad from the November 1944 issue of Ladies Home Journal. Back on Day 12, I posted about the Fried Stuffed Eggplant, and now I wanted to feature the Skillet Apple Cake. Doesn't Skillet Apple Cake sound super yummy?

Crisco Ad
Ladies Home Journal, November 1944
1940s ads like to talk - a lot. They offer full explanations about why their product is the best. It's a very different tack than the advertising used today, but I can tell you that it's still pretty effective. If anything, many of the ads are endearing and humorous, besides just being downright cool with 1940s vintage. I loved the little illustration showing the woman carrying in the apple harvest with autumn leaves blowing in the air. Apples picked in October and November are the best!


And now for the recipe! The cake looks a little like pineapple upside-down cake, which it is essentially, the only difference being the fruit. I'm sure it's a very tasty variation, and one that is perfect to try for autumn! (If you do try it, be sure to use a cast iron or other oven-proof skillet!)