WWII Ration Recipe - Armenian Dessert

It's time again for another recipe from Cooking on a Ration by Marjorie Mills! Hooray!

Armenian Dessert

When originally going through the book when I first bought it, the recipe for Armenian Dessert caught my eye. Sounds exotic, doesn't it? Well, it wasn't really. At least not if you've tried shredded wheat before. haha!

This recipe made an interesting, simple, and inexpensive little dessert that would be easy to increase or decrease the amounts to fit any occasion. The main ingredient is large shredded wheat biscuits. It's amazing that they still make them, because I don't know anyone that eats them for breakfast. Do you?

Shredded wheat biscuits with filling awaiting a bake in the oven
You can see the honey glistening on top!
Anyway, I was excited to try the recipe. All you do is dip the shredded wheat biscuits in hot milk, cut open the top half, spoon on the filling of chopped raisins and nut meats, replace the top, drizzle honey over the top and then heat them until warmed through. Super simple! I wasn't sure how they would taste though. Shredded wheat is pretty blah on it's own, but with the honey drizzled over the top along with the filling, it added the touch of sweetness the biscuits need. The raisins and nuts gave it a nice texture too. The recipe said to serve with cream or rich milk, but I had some leftover whipped cream so I put that on there. It was just the right touch of sweetness and fat.

Overall, this dessert was nice! Maybe not my favorite, but easy and adaptable for your preference too. I bet spooning some jam or marmalade inside would be a nice  alternative to honey.

Now the real question is: Do they really serve a dessert like this in Armenia? It might be along the same lines as the Chinese Chews. Who knows? If you do, let me know!

You know, it's a little reminiscent of a bizarre version of baklava...


from Cooking on a Ration by Marjorie Mills

Update! My friend Rachel did a search and found that there actually is some basis to calling this dessert Armenian. Apparently, it's made using shredded filo dough and sometimes shredded wheat can be substituted (though I imagine it wouldn't taste as good as filo!)
Here is a link with a recipe for the more authentic version called Ararat Home Kadayif. Goodness, it looks delicious!
And here is a link for a blogger's memories of her grandmother's Tell Kadayif

Hooray! I'm so excited to find an authentic reference to this ration recipe!