Introducing... My 2016 Project

I have felt very put out by not being able to do much sewing last year like I'd wanted. It was very difficult to focus on writing my book and sewing - both very big projects. So, sewing fell into the background, and I got my book finished - which is a good thing! But now, I feel the sewing machine calling me for 2016, and I really want to make some good progress on sewing projects. I've decided to do my best in participating in the Historical Sewing Monthly for 2016. Hopefully, the project will be enough motivation to keep going, since I need to post every month and have a set deadline that's out of my control.

Here are the 2016 challenges with my ideas for each one. The Historicism challenge is a bit mystifying to me, so I'll have to think on that one for awhile. 

The 2016 Challenges:

January –  Procrastination – finish a garment you have been putting off finishing (a UFO or PHD) or make something you have been avoiding starting.
--T’s 18th century shirt (blue check)

February – Tucks & Pleating – make a garment that features tucks and pleating for the shape or decoration
--18th century cap

March – Protection – make something to protect yourself (from weather or injury) or your clothes (from soiling etc.)
-- apron (18th century or Regency) or a Spencer jacket?

April – Gender-Bender – make an item for the opposite gender, or make an item with elements inspired by the fashions of the opposite gender
-- waistcoat for T or 1930s Smooth Sailing trousers

May – Holes – sometimes the spaces between stuff are what makes a garment special.  Make a garment that is about holes, whether it is lace, slashing, eyelets, etc.
-- 18th century corset (start in January!)

June – Travel – make a garment for travelling, or inspired by travel.
-- a housewife (It's an accessory, I know and a bit of a stretch, but I'm being cheeky about this one. haha!)

July – Monochrome – make a garment in black, white, or any shade of grey in between.
-- Haven't decided. Need to do some research and do a hunt through my stash.

August – Pattern – make something in pattern, the bolder and wilder the better.
-- 1930s Smooth Sailing blouse (navy blue w/ awesome buttons) or something from my yellow Indian print

September – Historicism – Make a historical garment that was itself inspired by the fashions of another historical period.
-- ???
October – Heroes – Make a garment inspired by your historical hero, or your historical costuming hero.
-- Dolly Madison? Maybe... or my sewing mentor Suzanne. (She sewed a lot of different eras.)

November – Red – Make something in any shade of red.
-- Regency Cross-over gown or a red 18th century coat/jacket or a 1930s blouse

December – Special Occasion - make something for a special event or a specific occasion, or that would have been worn to special event of specific occasion historically.
-- Haven't decided. Need to do some research.

Some of these are liable to change, but I'm really excited about it. I have a lot of sewing fears to conquer. Mostly it's just getting started on something, but once I move past that, I'm fine. Wish me luck!

I'm not leaving the 1940s by the wayside, though. This year I'd like to try an entire day's menu every month from my Health-For-Victory magazines and from other wartime women's magazines. The idea of the planned menus for an entire month was very popular, so I'll have lots of material to work with. I need to be realistic with my time though. I have marketing for my book to be done as well as working on more writing projects. I feel my time being sucked away all ready!

But like what my husband always tells me: Just take one day at a time.