1945 Banana Bread


I had some ripe bananas on hand and thought I'd try another ration recipe for Banana Bread. The one I picked out wasn't a ration recipe, per se, but it comes from my 1945 Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book that has a wartime insert. This recipe comes from the regular portion of the book, but I think it's ration recipe worthy. Except for the banana part. haha! Those were hard to come by during the war.

This week I'm trying to go without white or brown sugar, so I substituted honey with an addition of a 1/4 tsp. of baking soda. I thought it was interesting that the recipe called for 1 cup of bran. I had oat bran on hand and used that. I also used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup white.

As it baked, it filled our house with amazing banana bread smells!

The bread tasted wonderful - not too sweet and with a fantastic, large crumb. I liked the added texture from the bran. Yummy all around! I didn't add nuts. I'm not always a fan of that in quick breads, but I'm sure it tastes nice with that addition.


Here's the recipe with a bonus one for a very interesting-looking Date & Cheese Bread.