Happy 4th of July!


Happy Independence Day!!

We watched "National Treasure" a week ago. I've always loved that movie, and while it is a fictional adventure, I love the feelings that it evokes about the Declaration of Independence. I remember the first time I saw it in person at The National Archives. It was an incredible feeling to be so close to the document that started this country at the great sacrifice of so many people. I love my country! 


To celebrate one of my favorite holidays I thought I'd post another ration recipe. And there's nothing so American, to me at least, as good old fashioned Meatloaf! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the finished product because we ate it pretty quickly. And to be honest it really looked like every other standard meatloaf out there. 

I followed the recipe closely, but I think I added some garlic powder and dried parsley to the mix, and also spread a thick layer of ketchup over the top before baking. It sure was yummy! I've  made a version of meatloaf using chicken livers to mix in with the ground beef and I thought it was really good. I think you could make that in good wartime spirit since they really pushed for Americans to eat those organ meats! 

Here's the recipe out my cookbook Thrifty Cooking for Wartime. Enjoy!