Studies in Rationing

It feels like it's been ages since I've posted on here, and I am still catching up in things around the house from the holidays. I can already tell I miss posting about ration recipes, but I got something thrilling in the mail today that cheered me right up!


Studies In Rationing
United States & Great Britain!
These books have been on my list to get for a long time. They are the only copies I've seen for sale anywhere, so I am super excited to finally have them to look through! You won't be surprised if I tell you that they are very DRY to read. They are basically reports on rationing in the U.S. and Great Britain. The 2nd volume's title reads: An Analysis of Selected Rationing Programs in the United States During World War II by Carolyn Shaw Solo. This set was published in 1950-51 and was undertaken by Harvard University. Bravo for them!

It is, of course, the best thing to read original recipe documents and even women's first hand accounts, but to be able to see behind the machinery of how the government ran things and why they ran things in the way that they did adds a whole different dimension to the story of rationing! Very exciting stuff. :-)