A Little Modern Archaeology

credit

I've been doing some research for a book I'm writing set in WWII. (Go figure. Ha!) :-) The other day I stumbled on this fascinating article about Freeman Field, a military airfield, in southern Indiana where during WWII, they sent captured Nazi aircraft and sent them to Freeman Field to be reverse-engineered. After the war they buried the planes and plane parts on the outskirts of the Field.

I'm from Indiana myself, so the idea of Nazi fighter planes being buried in some Hoosier field in the country is so funny and bizarre! I love that they're making the effort to find and dig them all up.

My family and I are planning a trip to Indiana this coming summer and I'm hoping to stop by the Freeman Field to see their museum and the things they've dug up so far. So cool!

Check the article out HERE.