Rev War Event at Mount Harmon, MD

Mount Harmon Plantation House
I took our kids to a spur-of-the-moment Revolutionary War event this past Saturday at Mount Harmon Plantation in Earleville, Cecil County, MD. Two hours from us, it's a pretty house on a lovely spot by the Sassafrass River. This was our second Rev War event and my main mission was to find a unit we could hook up with. I tried looking for the unit that I've been communicating with, but no one had heard of them and couldn't tell me where to find them. That was pretty frustrating! So, instead, I looked around and found a tent fly that had several children and women cleaning up from the lunch hour. I got to talking with them and they were really friendly, answering my questions and listening as I explained my situation about finding a unit to join. It turns out that their unit is based not very far from us, are a family-friendly unit, and best of all they are open to men portraying civilians. I even met one of the men in their group who does a civilian impression. This was really exciting because it is very hard to find that in any reenacting unit since they're usually just military focused.

The weather was perfect, though blustery, and the site was just the right size for walking around with young kids. After talking with those nice people, we wandered the sutlers. I was thrilled that Burnley & Trowbridge were there! I took that opportunity to buy some beautiful striped linen for my outer petticoat, a lovely neck scarf, stockings, and even my first pair of period shoes! I figured since I didn't have to pay shipping, I might as well! I am super excited about my shoes, though I do need to break them in. Not as fun.

A rare picture of me with the
Sassafrass River in the background
After shopping, and just as the British troops were lining up for battle, we walked down to the river and laid down in the shade for a snack and a wee nap. It was very peaceful down by the water. When we heard the cannon fire we headed back up to the plantation house.

Normally the tours of the house cost an additional fee, but because the battle had started they let us go up to the roof where there is a neat observation deck. I have to say that watching a battle from the top of a house is the absolute best way to go! I wish I could do that for every battle. :-) It was so windy up there, though, that we went down soon after, looked a little through the house, and then took advantage of the distracted crowds to grab a bite to eat and get some ice cream. Soon after the battle ended we walked back to our car and drove home.

As we were driving back through the town of Earleville I happened to look over at their cemetery with their amazingly old tombstones (by American standards anyway!), and remembering that I had relatives buried in Cecil County somewhere. I wondered where they were buried. It was just a passing thought, really. We even passed a deliciously haunted-looking Edwardian house. I wished I had had the presence of mind to stop to take a picture!

Anyway, later at home I looked up where my ancestors were buried - and they were buried in Earleville! The very same town we had been in! I could have kicked myself. We could so have stopped to see their grave! Oh well. At least I know how to get there now. AND I have an excuse to go back to take a picture of that creepy house. Yay!


Two British boys sit down for a rest in the shade before the battle.
It's funny how happy it made me seeing one of them whip out a book to read,
and not a cell phone to check his texts. I'd like to assume that that is what immersion in history
can do for the youth of our society. It gives me hope!

The red coats lining up before the battle
  
An amazing view of the battle from the top of the house

The Colonists' camp - at least some of it. There were quite a lot of them!

Inside the beautiful plantation house.
Look at that gleaming gold wallpaper! 

I loved their charming herb garden. I really want one just like it!
I have plans for one in the works...
One of the plants in the garden is Lamb's Ear. According to one of the
tour guides, they used to use the Lamb's Ear as toilet paper!
That's something new to me. It's very soft too, so I guess it makes sense!

Here is my son enjoying his ice cream next to a very
fascinating tree. Several of the trees behind the plantation house
had these strange cement-looking tiles bricking up parts of the trunk.
It was so odd-looking! Not sure why they did that, but it looks cool anyway.
My stash from Burnley & Trowbridge!
The stockings have a false seam in them since stockings back then were flat woven
with a seam in the back. Very cool!