"Savoring the Past" w/ Jas. Townsend & Son

I just love these 18th century cooking videos created by Jas. Townsend & Son! They are completely awesome. Even my kids (ages 7 & 4) watched quite a few of them with me and enjoyed them, especially the ones featuring Jon's little girl. It's been great supplementation for our Revolutionary War studies and has gotten my son excited about trying a few of their recipes. He wants us to make the currant jelly which is perfect because I have red currants sitting in our freezer waiting to be made into something delectable.

These videos have also gotten me freshly inspired to get to work making our Rev. War clothing so we can be ready to go to an event next year. Just seeing all their cool tools and cooking dishes..! *sigh* As a teenager I drooled over their print catalog which was chock full of everything you could possibly dream of to use at a reenactment or a museum.

This whole time I had no idea they were from my home state of Indiana. I wish I'd known when I lived there! I could have gone to their physical store. I guess that means when we make our mid-west road trip next summer, we'll be taking a little detour... Haha! And I am super stoked to be getting their most recent catalog in the mail soon. Hooray!

Awhile back in the first weeks of my project, I did a ration recipe for Scotch Eggs. I was interested to see that Jas. Townsend & Son had a video about making Scotch Eggs. You can watch it below:


It's amazing how different these 18th century Scotch Eggs are from their WWII ration cousins. Using a boiled egg would be so much easier than reconstituted eggs! I'm going to have to try this version. I think it would make a fabulous breakfast on the go or at an encampment, don't you?

There are so many of these fantastic food videos that they've made. You really need to check some of them out. (They even have a full-length film called "Crimson Bond" and a zombie movie! haha!)

And be sure to check my Historical Food Blog links on the left for their blog "Savoring the Past". You can find all their 18th century recipes on there.

Enjoy!