Lovely Read

I recently became friends with a woman who shares a similar interest with me on rationing, women's roles, and social issues during WWII. Her book collection is amazing and she's generously offered to let me come to her house anytime to do research using her books. *happy sigh*



When I went, I was picking up some 1940s Reader Digest magazines that she was giving away and while I was there and perusing her books, my eyes immediately were drawn to this random book entitled A Small House and Large Garden written in 1920 by Richardson Wright. She highly recommended it (she had even visited his house he talks about in the book!) and kindly let me borrow it along with Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther (a novel written in 1943).

I just finished reading A Small House and Large Garden and it was absolutely wonderful! It was perfect for picking up and reading here and there and had many nuggets of thought-provoking insightfulness. I am still amazed that it was written in the 1920s and was still so easy to read. I feel a little silly about that. I guess sometimes I discount older books because many times the language is stuffy and hard to wade through, but this just proves that not all authors were like that then! (Elizabeth Gaskell is another, even older example. I love her book North and South.)

A Small House and Large Garden in one word:

Refreshing!