The "Old-Fashioned" Days

I was just having a conversation with my 5-year-old son. He was asking me if the "old-fashioned" days were real. I reassured him that they were. Then I explained about the spinning wheel I'm borrowing from a friend and how in the "old-fashioned" days they used that to spin wool, to weave into cloth, and then made their clothes. It was a long process! 

Then my son asked, "Was it black and white back then?"

hahahaha! I couldn't help laughing at that and he laughed right along with me.

I then had to explain about old cameras that made movies black and white and old TVs that didn't have the technology to show color, and of course old-fashioned days were in color! Haha!


This reminded me of a wonderful book I found at a thrift shop called "The Olden Days" by Joe Mathieu. The author used Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA to model the book after. The illustrations are beautiful, colorful, and detailed and clearly show how things were done in "the olden days". I've been waiting for the time when my son was the right age to be interested in looking through it and it looks like today is the day!

I always love studying General Store pictures.
How exciting it would have been to shop at one!
I have a secret dream of opening up a real general store that looks very similar to this. :-)

Aren't the illustrations awesome?
My son wanted me to take a picture of them building the barn.
I love how it's showing each of the first few stages of the barn building  in one picture.