Vintage Autumn Celebration: Week 8 - Mapleine Animals & Maple-Sugar Graham Crackers

American Cookery Mapleine Ad, 1914
credit


We've only got 5 more weeks of autumn left. Nooo! I want it to last longer! We went to visit family out in Iowa recently and while the whole landscape was filled with beautiful autumn colors, they got snow. I don't think I'm quite ready for the snow thing!

This week's recipes are some fun, kid-friendly recipes. The first is another from The Mapeline Cook Book, ca. 1930s, for Mapleine Animals. I love how the recipe assumes you cook over a fire and that these iced cookies are a "healthful confection for children." haha! I guess if it's a choice between these and a handful of candy, these would win out in a health contest, but still... I find the predominating opinion about sugar in those days to be interesting. I think they definitely shaped our current American sugar addiction. But, that's a discussion for another day. :-)



The second recipe for Maple-Sugar Graham Crackers comes from The Good Housekeeping Cook Book, from 1944. The recipe is insanely simple, but it turns the humble graham cracker into something really special! I definitely plan on giving this one a try with my kids for a school-time snack.


Have a happy week of November! Get out there and enjoy that autumn before it disappears!