Autumn Wartime: Week 13 - A Wartime Autumn Meal!

The last week for the Autumn Wartime Recipes & Food has arrived. It's a bittersweet occasion, I think, since autumn foods are some of the best out there. For the last post, I wanted to find some special recipes using up the bounty of autumn harvest vegetables. At this time of year, the cold cellar would still easily be yielding forth apples, carrots, onions, squash, and more. So, for the finale, I found these fun recipes to tempt your palate with a vintage meal*!


 To start, you can try these Hashed Brown Vegetables - the perfect way to use up leftover veg...


...or this simple, but filling Corn Chowder. I've been on the hunt for a 1940s corn chowder recipe. I'm excited to try this one!


For the main dish, you've got the choice of two different styles of non-meat loaf - V Loaf and Nut Vegetable Loaf. A friend of mine pointed out that these are just the 1940s versions of today's vegetarian meatloaf, which is a great point! Strangely, though, neither of them call for beans.




And for dessert, there's Steamed Cranberry Pudding or Apple Rice Pudding, both great options for a warm finisher for a late autumn meal.




I hope you've enjoyed this second installment of the Autumn Wartime Recipes & Food series! Thanks for following along, and I hope you join me for my next series... Vintage Maple Recipes!

*Today's recipes come from: Cooking on a Ration, ca. 1943; Alice Bradley's Menu-Cook-Book, ca. 1944