Day 5: Chopped Beef Sweet Potato Roll

Today's series installment for "A Month of Autumn Wartime Recipes & Food" comes from a recent acquisition of mine, The Lily Wallace New American Cook Book published in 1945.

Chopped Beef Sweet Potato Roll sounds like a very interesting use of sweet potatoes!

I'm thinking by chopped beef, in this case at least, they mean ground beef. Otherwise, I don't see how you could pat the beef out to roll around the sweet potato and have it hold its shape. But then again, it's got the egg to help it stick, so maybe they really do mean chopped beef. Hmm!
Anyway, I think this could prove to be an interesting, yet surprising taste profile. I'm sure the bacon improves things too while the fried apple slices just make it that much more interesting! I just might need to give this one a try. How about you? ;-)

Chopped Beef Sweet Potato Roll
New American Cook Book, ca. 1945