Day 23: October Food Calendar ca. 1942

October Food Calendar
Woman's Home Companion, 1942
For today's post, here is another Woman's Home Companion October Food Calendar, this time from 1942! In this issue, we are definitely in the swing of wartime, though only sugar is rationed at this point, with coffee just around the corner in November. 

Don't you just love the photo of the USO girls with the soldiers out for a hayride?


A lot of the food suggestions are interesting, but Day 22/29 is a classic 1940s odd sandwich filling one - pineapple mixed with peanut butter and mayo. I grew up eating peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches (yum!), so peanut butter and mayo isn't too big of a stretch for me. But adding the pineapple? I don't know... haha!

I took some close-ups so you could read the individual days. Sorry if some are still a little blurry.




 Here's a close-up of Halloween. Pretty classic food fun, I'd say! :-)