Day 18: Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

Today's post features a Knox Gelatine ad from the November 1942 issue of Ladies Home Journal.

'Tis the season for pumpkin pie, and a Pumpkin Chiffon Pie sounds delicious! I know I've heard of a pumpkin chiffon pie before, but what struck me about this recipe is that you cook the filling like a proper custard. I've never used a recipe that required me to cook my pumpkin pie filling on the stove, but think of the energy it saves - an important factor during the war. And once you cook it over the stove-top, you pour it into your baked pie crust and chill it. Very interesting! I can only imagine what a chiffon-y pumpkin filling would taste like, and I'd be willing to try this one!

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Ladies Home Journal, November 1942

Here's a close-up from the ad about how to cut butter bills - by mixing your "good" butter with milk, water, and Knox Gelatine to double your amount of butter. I've tried this recipe before. It really does double your butter, but it also gives it an... interesting texture. But in wartime, stretching that butter ration was important!

Here's the little blurb about the pie. Yum!

 And, finally, the recipe! Notice, they suggest other options for sugar, because using 1 cup is a lot!

What do you think? Would you try this one?