Day 12: Fried Stuffed Eggplant

For Day 12 in my "Month of Autumn Wartime Recipes & Food" series, I wanted to post about a savory dish - Fried Stuffed Eggplant! I found this recipe in a Crisco ad from the November 1944 Ladies Home Journal. (I'm not showing the whole ad yet, because there's another recipe in it I'm going to feature on another day. I'll show the whole ad then.) :-)

Autumn is about using your harvest, and this just sounded so warm and delicious! What struck me about the recipe wasn't the stuffed eggplant part (which I'm sure I've heard of before), but that it's stuffed with lamb. Yum! At least in my neck of the woods, lamb is something that's not eaten very much. I think it's because ground beef usually prevails in just about everything requiring ground meat.

Our family has lamb once a year. I make a Shepherd's Pie using ground lamb for Easter. I love the symbolism of it, but lamb is pretty tasty too! I'd love to try lamb more regularly, even if it's just to get my kids used to the taste to broaden their taste buds a bit more. This recipe looks like a yummy place to start!

Fried Stuffed Eggplant
November 1944 Ladies Home Journal